Thursday, November 16, 2006

Getting back to church

I am a classic lapsed Catholic. My parents came from a deeply-religious ethnic community, were deeply religious themselves, and raised me in the church. I went to church almost without fail every Sunday until I was about 13 years old.

Then I went away to prep school (which I loved, BTW). I stayed away for college. And I became an intellectual, I dare say a liberal. I realized that there were significant differences between my world views and those of the church.

Now, I am married to a religious woman and I have children to raise. The one thing that I /always/ enjoyed about the Catholic church was its /active/ engagement of ethical issues. I started wrestling with moral issues in catechism classes when I was about eight years old. I think that this education played a big role in making me who I am today.

So, I am in the process of getting back to the church. I feel that my family is stronger when we attend church together. To my amazement, I recently found a podcast that is targeted a folks exactly like me: the Catholic Show. I'm impressed that there are Catholics out there who are hip enough to podcast! The mission of this program is to invite former Catholics back to the church and to support a Church vibrant and growing as never before. I recommend that Catholics, especially lapsed Catholics, check it out.

Link: Catholic Show

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home