Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Another reason to like Maxim

One of my pet peeves is harmful myths and Urban Legends that prey on people's fears. I think that the "cellphones cause cancer" myth is among the worst of these, right up there with "power lines cause cancer." It is difficult or impossible to debunk such myths, since doing so involves proving a negative. Popular publications are reluctant to debunk such myths becuase people seem to want to believe them.

Believe it or not, Maxim Magazine recently came through big in this regard. That's right, you read me correctly: Maxim Magazine is setting its readers straight about cellphones and cancer. The magazine has released a Common Myth and Urban Legend Debunkment Section that debunks myth.



Needless to say, some of the other myths are a whole lot sassier, if you catch my drift. For example, I for one have never believe that women with pierced tongues give better head. But Maxim says: Believe it, buddy. They have the good grace to admit that their survey testing this myth is "very unofficial". Nonetheless, I've started wondering how my SO might look with a pierced tongue.

Another great myth debunked, which I'd never heard before, is: "To relieve a jellyfish sting, pee on it." Gross. I hope I wouldn't have believed that nonsense. Although it would be pretty funny to watch my brother, for example, peeing on himself to relieve a jellyfish sting! I've got to think of some way to enlist jellyfish to help me play this trick on him...


Link: Urban Legends

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home