Monday, October 16, 2006

Poker for the businessman

I am a competetive guy, I admit it. I like to win in business and in sports and...everywhere. Do I have the good sense to try to hide this from my wife? You betcha.

But I've been trying to figure out whether I should re-awaken my interest in poker. I played years ago, then became more interested in bridge, then left cards behind entirely. But the creation of the whole poker genre, and the attendant commentary, has me wondering if perhaps it is true that playing poker sharpens ones general intellectual skills.

Certainly, I believe that the best investors I know are also the best card players. There is no doubt that there is a shared skill set. The question is, does active practice actually improve this skill set?

So recently I decided to start playing again at home. Just to up the moral ante, I decided to teach my teenage son how to play as well. We visited this site for poker rules, for which my son is a stickler. Is my use of this site encouraging a slide into moral decay? Or a shared fun activity that will last my son and I into my golden years. I believe it's the latter!

Link: poker rules

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home